Earth Hour this Saturday!
Saturday March 27 at 8.30pm is Earth Hour. What better time to get on board and reduce your carbon footprint. Here's how!
Posted by Editor
* Burn greener, cleaner Ecoya candles this weekend as part of Earth Hour. Made from natural soy wax rather than paraffin produced by the petroleum industry they burn for a third longer and produce 90% less carbon soot into the atmosphere! They are also completely biodegradable and Australian made, www.ecoya.com.au.
* Invest in power-boards with “off” switches, so you can turn off standby power at night – by turning appliances like TVs off at the wall, it doesn’t waste energy and carbon.
* Install energy efficient lights - they run on a fraction of the energy and will last a lot longer.
* Seal all those gaps and cracks in the house - this will save on the heating in winter.
* Get the dripping taps fixed – this will save water and also energy if it’s the hot tap.
* Try a meat-free day once a week – producing beef uses large amount of water.
* Ditch the take away coffee cup and get a re-usable one – this will reduce landfill.
* Only buy recycled toilet paper – it’s got a lot better since the early days, and it means less forest destruction for a clean bum!
* Make a committment to walk, ride or take public transport to work regularly – it will save money, and help you stay fit.
* Cut out one flight this year – air travel contributes a lot of greenhouse gases. Choosing to holiday closer to home, or avoiding business travel with teleconferencing, can make a really big difference.
For more info check out http://www.earthhour.org.au
For more great ways to help the environment, click here.